Thursday, October 26, 2006

Changes come




So, a little trip to the Midwest brought me back to my self. Its been a strange year with moving to Seattle, having a baby, trying to understand what we're supposed to be doing with our lives when our plans don't seem to be working out. My husband, Brett, and our son, Sebastian, flew to Missouri and spent the week with family and good friends and got away from the worry for awhile. We came home and found out our current weekend job as apartment managers would be ending next month which leads us closer to making decisions about our future but not like we expected. Needless to say, it was refreshing to be able to spend the weekend with my sweet friend, Elsie, and absorb the colors in her life. I'm feeling like art is the one thing in my life that I understand right now.
Sebastian has been the sweetest source of inspiration since his arrival on the 4th of July and helps brighten things up with our involved 'conversations' on the weather, construction on the Avenue, and his view from the swing.
I'm in the middle of a quilting fetish and have deconstructed about 6 pairs of jeans that were no longer useful in their existing state. I was inspired by a quilt I saw in a Smithsonian magazine about the ladies from Gee's Bend. I'm trying to see potential in garments as cloth and not just how they've served their purpose.
Resourceful of me, isn't it...

Rachel

10 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger FauveDesign said...

Wow way cool,love the little scooter!!

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Joyous said...

Rachel, these are AMAZING!! So very fun, if it wasn't bad enough already, my urge to do some quilting is totally getting the best of me. Keep up the work on these, too too cool!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

they are absolutely sooo inspirational!! Loooove em! Keep up the fab work girl!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Amber said...

have you downloaded Jeremy's new cd yet? i'm sure you have. pretty amazing isn't it? so glad to find another jeremy lover.
i wish i would have been able to buy a quilt like this when my weeman was a babe. it would have made him even more of a rock star.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger OpaqueSkies said...

Do you sell these? Where? For how much? I think you could EASILY have customers for these fab works.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger SSgtBullsGirl said...

Ok we need a "Buy it NOW" option! Love them all please let us know when they are avaliable!
Le Anne

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Marije said...

Wow, fantastic stuff! Love the scooter especially!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Charin Adams said...

Love these!! :) You are very talented :)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Elsie Larson said...

iI have the items pictured at a local store in Seattle. Most items are one of a kind but a few can be replicated. Quilts are going for $55.00 and pillows $34.00 if you are buying directly from me plus S&H.
I love to do custom orders!
Rachel

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

I also was inspired by the Gee's quilts and the story behind them. I'm a new quilter, but I am starting to keep small 3X3 pieces of any pieces of clothing/fabric of old clothing to use in the future. I love the idea of creating something useful out of something used, without it looking like it... keeping it out of the local landfill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home